Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Kubuntu: the Alternative CD

I had Unbuntu Hard Heron version installed on my test machine previously and just barely got it to doing RAID 5. Several books later and a run-in with LinuxMCE and MythTV had me reconsidering to move to the KDE gui though.

So I've just burned Kubuntu 8.-4 Hardy Heron using the alternative CD as it seems to be the only way to get any Linux distribution going right out on install and not as a post-install chore. In preparation I've got the the instructions all laid out for me. Wish me luck.

I figured a perfect way to recycle the PATA (IDE) drives from the older FreeNAS by putting it in a better looking case.... Enter the AMS T4U (DS-2340UBK) that I bought off half-price at eBay. This is a 4-bay unit with built-in JBOD capability which I've re-purposed into a RAID-5 via the independent drive setting. Combined with the Dell XPS its going to be extra storage hopefully for a bring-anywhere system. My original plans were to finally install Mythbuntu on it, but that project's taken a short break for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment